Did you know that there are 22 bodies of water designated as Outstanding Arizona Waters (OAWs)? Currently, Hudbay Rosemont Mine is soliciting ADEQ to review the protected OAW status of those 22 streams. At the Tuesday, July 11 Pima County Board of Supervisors' meeting, three of the five board members passed a resolution that affirms Pima County's goals for protection of water quality.
The Yes votes: Chair Sharon Bronson, District 3; Ramón Valadez, District 2; Richard Elias, District 5
The No votes: Ally Miller, District 1; Steve Christy, District 4
A RESOLUTION OF THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS OF PIMA COUNTY, ARIZONA AFFIRMING PIMA COUNTY GOALS FOR PROTECTION OF WATER QUALITY
THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS OF PIMA COUNTY, ARIZONA FINDS:
1. Water is essential to life and sacred to many religions;
2. The water cycle connects rainfall, runoff, surface water and ground water;
3. Pollutants entering the water cycle can be passed to other parts of the water cycle;
4. Clean water is essential to human health and the health of the plants and animals on which we depend;
5. Pima County residents rely on the water derived from rain, surface runoff, underground aquifers, and the Colorado River;
6. Pima County has a role in managing watershed and protecting water quality;
7. Local communities can participate in setting state and federal standards for the protection of water quality.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED THAT:
1. Pima County shall participate in the Triennial Review of surface water quality standards in order to protect human health and the ecosystems on which wildlife depend;
2. Staff shall oppose efforts to diminish or remove water quality protections for Cienega Creek, Davidson Canyon, Buehman Canyon, or other Outstanding Arizona Waters;
3. Staff shall manage point source and non-point source pollution to maintain water quality at a level needed to ensure human and wildlife health now and for future generations;
4. Staff shall consider the connection between the activities affecting land and air and surface water and groundwater in the exercise of their duties.